Friends of the Salon
Friends of the Salon is an extension of our more formal events, focusing on facilitating similar discussions, but in more intimate settings. Because of the limited capacity, attendance is per reservation only, though the tickets are free. You can purchase drinks at the bar of Karl der Grosse and take them into the function room.
3 December 2019, Karl der Grosse, 7pm
Topic to be announced…
Join us to discuss and debate.
What should we discuss next? Nominate a topic!
Topics and Formats
Some current issues that might be of interest include:
- The health industry and medication prescription
- Free will or determinism?
- It’s time to break up facebook: social media’s impact on democracy, public health and privacy.
- Is politics dead? Should we reinvent it?
- Does the EU have a long-term future?
- Technology: traffic jams in the air, AI and ethics, energy and the environment.
- Hate is heavily policed – but is it right to criminalize emotions?
- What do we mean by ‘free speech’? Are there limits to it?
- Do gender quotas result in poorer quality appointments?
- Contemporary events in historical perspective.
- Any topic of interest, feel free to recommend 🙂
Join us there!
For the sake of completeness, here are the dates of our past ‘friends’ events:
- 24 November 2015: …lost in history…
- 11 April 2016: …lost in history…
- 23 June 2016: …lost in history…
- 18 January 2017: …lost in history…
- 23 March 2017: …lost in history…
- 16 May 2017: …lost in history…
- 23 October 2017: The Post-Gender Age
- 20 February 2018: Public and Commercial broadcasting services
- 16 May 2018: Artificial Intelligence, Automation and Robots
- 12 September 2018: Privacy in the Connected Age
- 12 December 2018: Is ageism the only socially acceptable discrimination left?
- 25 March 2019: Identity politics: a 21st century obsession?
- 5 June 2019: Mind, Soul, Consciousness…
- 22 October 2019: Does democracy need a makeover?
Thanks to you all friends of the Salon!